With Mr. Chung's very enlightening and interesting presentation, it has come to my attention that certain individuals may actually value what the "normal" society may address as a disability. Could it be that those who are deaf possess a much more enriched life than those of a normal condition.
Could it be that the feeling of belonging/community in the deaf culture is more valuable than the sense of hearing?
To John and Karen, it certainly is more important to be deaf, to the point where they even desperately want their child to be deaf as well.
I will never truly understand the feeling of being deaf. I will never understand how it feels to be shunned because I cannot hear. I will never understand how it feels to find a group of people just like me. I will never understand the difficulty and the encouragements of being deaf.
But what i do know is that, they are happy.
And as for the prenatal genetics testing, I think it should only be used as a method to prepare parents for what is to come from their child. The only that should be tested is for potential diseases and gender.
I also think that, in order to solve the unethical and controversial problem, there must be some restrictions. Assuming that controversial debate regarding abortion is already legal, the biggest solution to this problem is to restrict parents who have done the prenatal genetic testing from aborting. And for parents who have not done this testing, well abortion should be allowed. For many parents, it is said that this genetics testing is used only to help prepare them for the worst. Fair enough. However since it is to PREPARE them, abortion should not be an option after having prenatal genetic testing.
till nextime,
Timothy Leung
No comments:
Post a Comment